U.S. President Donald Trump has warned that Washington is prepared to launch fresh attacks on Iran if Tehran refuses to agree to a peace deal, raising fears that the fragile ceasefire could collapse within days.
Speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Wednesday, Trump described the situation as being “right on the borderline” and warned events could spiral rapidly if negotiations fail.
“Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go,” Trump said, adding that military action could happen “within days” if diplomacy breaks down.
The warning comes six weeks after Trump paused Operation Epic Fury under a ceasefire agreement, though talks aimed at ending the conflict have reportedly made little progress. At the same time, soaring global fuel prices linked to the crisis have begun hurting Trump politically ahead of the upcoming congressional elections.
Trump once again vowed that Iran would never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, insisting the conflict had reached its “final stages”.
“Either we have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” he said. “Ideally I’d like to see fewer people killed rather than many.”
Iran, however, responded with its own warning. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned that any renewed attack against Tehran could trigger a regional war extending far beyond the Middle East.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf claimed recent American actions suggested Washington was quietly preparing for another wave of military strikes.
Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran remained open to negotiations but rejected any attempt to force Iran into surrender.
“Coercion will not break Iran,” he wrote in a post on X.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran was still engaging in talks “seriously and in good faith” but maintained “strong and reasonable suspicion” over Washington’s actions.
Pakistan has now emerged as a key mediator in the crisis, with its interior minister travelling to Tehran this week to relay messages between both sides after hosting the only peace talks held so far.
Despite ongoing diplomacy, Iran reportedly submitted a new proposal to Washington containing demands previously rejected by Trump, including compensation for war damages, sanctions relief, access to frozen assets and greater control over the strategically critical Strait of Hormuz.
The strait remains at the centre of the crisis after Iran effectively restricted passage to most foreign vessels following the outbreak of fighting in February.
On Wednesday, Tehran unveiled a new “controlled maritime zone” around the strait and announced that ships would require authorisation to pass through Iranian-controlled routes.
The move has already disrupted global energy markets, with oil prices surging amid fears of supply shortages. However, two massive Chinese oil tankers carrying nearly four million barrels of crude successfully crossed the strait this week after Iran eased restrictions for Chinese vessels.
Shipping data showed traffic through the strait remains far below pre-war levels, highlighting continued instability in one of the world’s most important energy corridors.
The war between the U.S., Israel and Iran has already claimed thousands of lives across the region. U.S.-Israeli bombing campaigns in Iran were temporarily halted during the ceasefire, while clashes involving Iran-backed groups in Lebanon and neighbouring Gulf states have continued to fuel tensions.
Although Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu launched the campaign aiming to weaken Iran’s nuclear and missile capabilities, analysts say Tehran still retains much of its enriched uranium stockpile and regional military influence.
With negotiations stalled and military threats intensifying, fears are growing that the Middle East could once again be pushed to the brink of a wider and even more devastating conflict.

