Tourism activities at Mount Bromo in East Java, Indonesia, will resume tomorrow after operations to contain a forest and land fire in the area were completed.
The Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park (TNBTS) office said the decision was made following monitoring and an assessment of conditions in the affected areas after the fire was brought under control.
TNBTS head Rudijanta Tjahta Nugraha said the reopening took into account the safety of both visitors and personnel.
“Taking into consideration the safety of visitors and staff, the Bromo area will reopen for tourism activities on Thursday,” he said in a statement today.
TNBTS said ticket bookings opened from Wednesday through the national park’s official website, with the number of visitors capped at 2,752 people a day.
All tourist access points to the Bromo area had previously been temporarily closed following worsening forest and land fires on August 8. The affected entry points included Cemorolawang in Probolinggo, Wonokitri in Pasuruan, Jemplang and Coban Trisula in Malang, as well as Senduro in Lumajang.
Nugraha said the reopening would be subject to several conditions, including visitors complying with regulations and instructions from personnel on the ground, as well as helping to maintain cleanliness and protect the environment.
Visitors are strictly prohibited from carrying out activities that could trigger another fire, including lighting campfires or throwing cigarette butts and other materials capable of causing ignition.
Nugraha said the Mount Bromo fire was successfully extinguished 13 days after it broke out.

