A syndicate suspected of helping blacklisted Chinese nationals enter Malaysia before using luxury homes as bases for online scams has been dismantled, with 21 people arrested in a coordinated Immigration Department operation.
The raids were carried out on Aug 19 at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) Terminal 1 and a house in Taman Desa Melati, Nilai, Negri Sembilan, following about a month of intelligence gathering and information received from the public.
Immigration director-general Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the operation began at 5.55pm and involved officers from the department’s Intelligence and Special Operations Division as well as the Security and Passport Division.
At KLIA, officers arrested a Malaysian man believed to be involved with the syndicate, together with a Chinese man and woman aged between 50 and 53.
Preliminary investigations indicated that the group allegedly assisted foreigners, particularly Chinese nationals who had been blacklisted by the Immigration Department, in entering the country.
According to Zakaria, the suspects were allegedly carrying two sets of Chinese passports bearing different passport numbers. Passports that were not on the Immigration blacklist were reportedly used to clear the KLIA e-Gates, while blacklisted passports were later found inside their bags.
The Malaysian suspect was believed to have been responsible for transporting the foreign nationals to designated locations, charging between RM150 and RM500 per person depending on the destination.
Officers seized four Chinese passports, four mobile phones and an SUV believed to have been used in the syndicate’s activities.
Information obtained during questioning subsequently led enforcement officers to the house in Nilai, where another group of suspects was arrested.
Among them were two Chinese men, a Chinese woman and a Russian woman suspected of being the masterminds. Nine other Chinese men, a Vanuatu man, a Pakistani man, another Chinese woman, an Indian woman and a Myanmar woman were also detained.
The foreign nationals arrested at the premises were aged between 23 and 33. Immigration checks showed that they had entered Malaysia on Social Visit Passes.
A search of the property yielded 28 Chinese passports, as well as one passport each from Myanmar, India, Vanuatu and Russia. Officers also confiscated 11 desktop computers, laptops, 40 mobile phones and RM4,800 in cash believed to be linked to the operation.
Investigators believe the group rented luxury homes in relatively secluded locations and converted them into centres for online fraud.
Zakaria said the syndicate allegedly approached victims through Telegram and WhatsApp, using tactics that included “love scams” and offers of counterfeit products presented as genuine goods.
Members were allegedly provided with prepared scripts to target victims overseas and received commissions based on the number of people they successfully deceived.
The operation is believed to have been active since early this year and allegedly generated profits of up to US$50,000 (about RM202,275).
The Malaysian suspect and four alleged masterminds were detained under Section 56(1)(d) of the Immigration Act 1959/63.
The remaining foreign nationals are being investigated for alleged offences under Section 15(1)(c) of the same Act and Regulation 39(b) of the Immigration Regulations 1963.
All 21 detainees were taken to the Putrajaya Immigration office for further action.
Zakaria said the department would continue enforcement efforts against syndicates and other activities that breach Malaysian immigration laws.

