Man Walks Again After Doctors Reattach Both Severed Legs In World-First Surgery

Date:

A Chinese factory worker whose both legs were severed in a workplace accident has regained the ability to walk after doctors successfully reattached his limbs in a complex operation believed to be the first of its kind in the world.

The 51-year-old man, identified only by his surname Jiang, lost both legs on December 2, 2024, after they were severed by machinery at the factory where he worked.

Doctors at Suzhou Ruihua Orthopaedic Hospital, located around 100 kilometres west of Shanghai, carried out an intensive eight-hour overnight surgery to reconnect both of Jiang’s severed legs to his thighs, according to The Yangtse Evening Post.

After nearly 20 months of intensive rehabilitation, Jiang can now walk with the assistance of a supportive frame and perform most daily activities independently. Doctors have also confirmed that sensation has returned down to his ankles.

The Jiangsu Trauma and Treatment Association, a local hospital network, described the procedure as the world’s first successful double-thigh replantation in which the patient subsequently regained the ability to walk.

In a social media post on August 14, the association said single-thigh replantation procedures had previously been carried out, but there were no documented cases involving the complete reattachment of both thighs followed by a patient regaining walking ability, according to the South China Morning Post.

“The success of this case demonstrates that China’s microsurgical trauma expertise has reached a world-leading level,” the association said.

Li Changsong, director of the hospital’s trauma orthopaedics department, told The Yangtse Evening Post that Jiang could eventually become less dependent on mobility aids and may be able to walk independently.

His recovery has involved extensive post-operative treatment and several serious complications. His external fixators, which use pins and screws to stabilise damaged bones, were successfully removed in March 2025.

After the devices were removed, Jiang was able to lift his legs while lying in bed and gradually regained sensation up to his mid-calf. His condition eventually improved enough for him to be discharged from hospital.

However, his rehabilitation was far from straightforward. According to Sina, Jiang developed skin necrosis, a condition in which insufficient blood supply causes tissue to die.

He also suffered a comminuted fracture following the initial operation, in which a bone breaks into several pieces, further complicating the healing process.

Recent photographs published by The Yangtse Evening Post show Jiang standing with the support of a walking frame, with extensive surgical scars visible on both legs.

Doctors have not given a specific timeframe for when Jiang might be able to walk without assistance. His future recovery is expected to depend on continued improvements in muscle strength, nerve regeneration and bone healing.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

BABYMONSTER Becomes Third K-Pop Girl Group To Reach 13 Million YouTube Subscribers

K-pop girl group BABYMONSTER has reached another major milestone...

Jaafar Jackson Says ‘Michael’ Sequel Could Give Michael Jackson’s Side Of Child Sex Abuse Allegations

Jaafar Jackson, who portrayed his late uncle Michael Jackson...

Ariana Grande Tells Trump Team To Stop Using Her Music

Ariana Grande has criticised US President Donald Trump’s political...

‘I’ve Never Been Ashamed’: Malaysian Graduate Proudly Celebrates Father Who Worked As Cleaner For 25 Years

For 25-year-old Mohamad Zulfithri Mohd Johari, his father’s occupation...