A 61-year-old man died after falling from a public housing flat in Hong Kong during an alleged family dispute involving his son’s education plans and financial issues.
Police from the Sha Tin District Crime Squad have since arrested the victim’s 21-year-old son and 52-year-old wife as investigations continue into the incident.
The tragedy reportedly took place at Ming Yiu House in Jat Min Chuen at around 9.42pm on Wednesday.
According to local reports, the argument began after the son expressed his wish to continue his studies and apply for a student financial assistance loan, which required his father’s signature.
However, the father reportedly disagreed with the idea and believed his son should start working instead of pursuing further education.
The disagreement allegedly escalated into a heated argument inside the family’s kitchen, while the victim’s wife attempted to mediate between the two.
Police believe the father became emotional during the confrontation and grabbed hold of his son, while the mother tried to pull the younger man away.
During the struggle inside the narrow kitchen area, all three family members were reportedly involved in intense pushing and pulling before the father allegedly fell from the unit to his death.
The case is currently being handled by the second investigation team of the Sha Tin District Crime Squad.
Reporters who revisited the scene on Thursday morning found the platform area below the building still cordoned off by police.
A damaged tent was also seen lying at the scene.
Neighbours told local media that the family of three had been living together in the flat and described the deceased as a friendly person who often greeted neighbours warmly.
Residents also said numerous police officers visited the building following the incident and questioned neighbours about whether they had heard any commotion before the tragedy, although many claimed they did not notice anything unusual.

