A former senior executive assistant of a public agency is among two individuals remanded over suspected misappropriation of approximately RM800,000 in public funds.
The seven-day remand order, effective until May 25, was issued by Magistrate Sharifah Amirda Shasha Amir Shariffuddin after an application by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) at the Kuala Terengganu Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday morning.
According to a source, the suspects, a man and a woman in their 30s, were arrested between 12.30pm and 1pm on Monday while giving statements at the Terengganu MACC office.
The source said MACC had earlier detained three suspects, including a former senior administrative executive assistant, a company owner and a civil servant, to assist in investigations.
“However, only two of them were remanded this morning after another suspect was released due to health issues,” the source said.
Initial investigations found that the suspects are believed to have conspired in submitting documents containing false details involving the public funds in 2023 and 2024.
Meanwhile, Terengganu MACC director Hazrul Shazreen Yazid confirmed the arrests when contacted.
He said the case is being investigated under Section 18 of the MACC Act 2009.
Hazrul added that MACC does not rule out the possibility of more arrests being made to assist in the ongoing investigation.

