Two Men Buried Alive In Gold Mining Landslide Near Plantation Stream

Date:

Two men were killed after being buried in a landslide believed to have occurred during gold mining activities near a stream in Ladang Sawit Jerimbong on Wednesday night.

The incident, which happened at around 8.20pm, also involved another victim who reportedly survived the collapse.

Adni Ibrahim said the Fire and Rescue Department received an emergency call regarding victims trapped under soil before a rescue team was immediately dispatched to the scene.

According to Adni, rescue operations faced major difficulties as fire engines were unable to enter the plantation area due to narrow access roads.

“The operations commander informed that the team had to use Hilux pickup trucks to reach the location,” he said when contacted on Thursday.

Search and rescue operations began at about 9.20pm, where authorities confirmed that two victims had been buried following the collapse of a two-metre-high soil embankment near the stream area.

The first victim was successfully located at 9.25pm, while the second victim was found later at around 11.18pm.

Both victims, believed to be men in their 30s, were pronounced dead at the scene.

Adni said the operation was fully concluded at 11.40pm.

A total of nine personnel from the Jeli Fire and Rescue Station were involved in the operation, assisted by a Fire Rescue Tender (FRT), an Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) unit and a Rapid Response Vehicle (RRV).

The tragic incident has once again highlighted the dangers linked to illegal or unsafe mining activities, especially in remote areas with unstable soil structures and difficult terrain.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

RM4 Million Debts Among Civil Servants Raise Financial Stability Concerns

Nearly all bankruptcy cases involving civil servants recorded nationwide...

WHO Warns Ebola Vaccine Could Take Up To Nine Months As Outbreak Spreads

The World Health Organization has warned that it could...

“Look In The Mirror” — Jonassen Sends Strong Message To Men’s Singles Players

National singles coaching director Kenneth Jonassen has urged his...

US Charges Former Cuban Leader Raúl Castro Over Deadly 1996 Plane Shootdown

The United States has formally charged former Cuban leader...