Malaysia Tightens Ebola Monitoring After WHO Declares Global Health Emergency

Date:

The Ministry of Health (MOH) is strengthening its preparedness and monitoring measures following the World Health Organization’s (WHO) declaration of the Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on May 17.

In a statement issued yesterday, the Ministry of Health Malaysia confirmed that no Ebola cases have been detected in Malaysia so far.

However, the ministry said precautionary measures are being intensified due to the risk of imported cases linked to ongoing outbreaks in Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

According to the statement, Malaysian authorities are monitoring travellers arriving from both countries, including passengers transiting through major international hubs such as Dubai, Doha and Singapore.

“At present, there are no direct flights from Congo or Uganda to Malaysia,” the ministry said.

The MOH added that surveillance and screening activities are continuously being strengthened to support public health risk assessments and early prevention measures.

Based on WHO data as of May 16, a total of eight laboratory-confirmed Ebola cases and 246 suspected cases have been reported in the Ituri region of Congo, alongside 80 suspected deaths.

Meanwhile, Uganda recorded two laboratory-confirmed cases, including one fatality, involving individuals with travel history from Congo.

The ministry stressed that Ebola is a serious and highly infectious disease that can be fatal, spreading through close contact with blood or bodily fluids of infected humans or animals.

Among the symptoms are fever, headaches, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhoea and, in some cases, bleeding.

To strengthen national preparedness, the MOH said multiple measures have been implemented, including enhanced surveillance at all international entry points, early detection systems and preparedness of healthcare facilities for isolation and treatment of suspected cases.

The ministry also confirmed that supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) and healthcare worker training remain at optimal levels.

In addition, Malaysia is boosting laboratory diagnostic capabilities through cooperation with the Institute for Medical Research and the National Public Health Laboratory.

The MOH is also working closely with WHO, the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency, airlines and related agencies to strengthen global risk monitoring and coordination efforts.

Individuals who recently travelled to affected countries are advised to seek immediate medical attention if they develop symptoms such as fever, body aches, vomiting or bleeding within 21 days of returning.

The ministry also urged the public to rely only on official information from MOH and WHO, while avoiding the spread of unverified claims that could trigger unnecessary public concern.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Bomb Squad Called To Australian Airport Over Laser Hair Removal Device

A bomb disposal unit was deployed to an airport...

Highway Traffic To Hit 2.2 Million Vehicles Daily Amid Back-To-Back Holidays

PLUS Malaysia Berhad (PLUS) expects traffic volume across its...

Motorcyclist Killed After Alleged Collision With Cow In Tapah

A motorcyclist was killed after reportedly colliding with a...

RM4 Million Debts Among Civil Servants Raise Financial Stability Concerns

Nearly all bankruptcy cases involving civil servants recorded nationwide...