Taiwan’s government says President Lai Ching-te would be willing and happy to speak directly with U.S. President Donald Trump, in what could become a historic and highly sensitive diplomatic moment.
The statement from Taiwan’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday came after Trump revealed he planned to speak with Lai, although he did not provide further details about the possible conversation.
If the call takes place, it would mark an unprecedented move in recent decades, as U.S. and Taiwanese presidents have not officially spoken directly since Washington switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.
China considers Taiwan part of its territory and has repeatedly vowed it could use force if necessary to bring the island under Beijing’s control.
Reaffirming comments made earlier by Lai, Taiwan’s Foreign Ministry said the president would use the opportunity to stress that China’s actions were undermining peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait.
The ministry added that Lai remains committed to maintaining the existing cross-strait status quo while also being open to discussions with Trump on regional security concerns.
The development is expected to further anger China, which has long criticised Washington’s military and political support for Taiwan, including continued arms sales and security cooperation aimed at deterring Chinese military action.
Tensions between Beijing and Taipei have intensified in recent years, with China increasing military pressure around the island while Taiwan continues rejecting Beijing’s sovereignty claims.
Trump previously broke decades of diplomatic convention in late 2016 when, as president-elect, he held a direct phone conversation with then-Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen, triggering strong protests from Beijing at the time.
The possibility of another direct communication between American and Taiwanese leaders is now likely to place fresh strain on already tense U.S.-China relations, especially amid growing geopolitical rivalry in the Asia-Pacific region.

