Former Tony Pua has confirmed that he has yet to be summoned by police to give his statement over a Facebook post allegedly touching on sensitive issues involving Malaysia’s Constitutional Monarchy and the Rukun Negara.
The former Damansara MP, who also serves as chairman of the Democratic Action Party disciplinary committee, said he is still waiting to be contacted by authorities.
“Not yet (called). Still waiting,” he told BH on Thursday.
The police investigation was launched after dozens of reports were lodged nationwide against Pua over remarks he made regarding the powers of the monarchy under Malaysia’s constitutional system.
Earlier this week, Pua reportedly stated that Malaysia practises a Constitutional Monarchy system in which the powers of the King are generally limited to specific areas.
The statement was believed to have been made in response to remarks by Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, who advised Wong Siew Ki and former Selangor EXCO member Ronnie Liu to visit Dataran Selangor weekly to better understand and appreciate the principles of the Rukun Negara.
Selangor police chief Shazeli Kahar previously confirmed that Pua would be called in soon for questioning regarding his statement on the monarchy’s powers.
According to Shazeli, the investigation is currently being handled by the Selangor Police Contingent Headquarters.
He revealed that as of Thursday morning, a total of 59 police reports had been filed nationwide in connection with the matter.
“I will provide further reactions and comments based on current requirements, God willing,” he said during a press conference at the Selangor police headquarters.
Meanwhile, Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department director M Kumar earlier confirmed that police had officially opened an investigation against Pua over the Facebook posting.
The case is being investigated under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code for statements causing public mischief, as well as Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

