Donald Trump claimed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would “do whatever I want” following a reportedly tense phone conversation between the two leaders over the ongoing conflict involving Iran.
According to reports, the “lengthy and dramatic” discussion focused on Trump’s decision not to immediately resume airstrikes on Tehran despite revealing he had been only minutes away from approving a new wave of attacks earlier this week.
Netanyahu has repeatedly stated that Israel’s key objectives in the conflict include dismantling Iran’s nuclear programme, weakening its missile capabilities and ending Tehran’s support for regional militant groups such as the Houthis.
However, Israel reportedly remains unconvinced those goals have been fully achieved.
Trump told reporters on Wednesday that he was “in no hurry” to restart military strikes and preferred giving Iran another opportunity to negotiate during ongoing peace discussions.
Following those remarks, Trump reportedly held a direct call with Netanyahu to discuss the diplomatic efforts and the possibility of avoiding further escalation.
Israeli media outlet Channel 12 described the conversation as highly dramatic, while a source quoted by Axios claimed Netanyahu appeared extremely frustrated after the exchange.
Despite that, Trump later told reporters at an airbase in Maryland that he believed Netanyahu ultimately agreed with his position.
“He’s fine. He’ll do whatever I want him to do,” Trump said.
“He’s a very good man and a great guy.”
Trump also joked that after leaving office at the end of his second term, he could potentially run for prime minister in Israel and even win.
“I had a poll this morning. I’m at 99 per cent,” he claimed jokingly.
Meanwhile, Iran insisted it would never surrender even if military attacks resumed.
Iranian parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf accused both Israel and the United States of preparing for another round of war through what he described as “obvious and hidden moves”.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran remained committed to negotiations but still held “strong and reasonable suspicion” towards Washington’s intentions.
Trump recently warned that while negotiations were entering their final stages, the situation could still turn “a little bit nasty” if talks collapsed.
At the same time, Iranian leaders warned that any renewed attack could trigger broader retaliation beyond the Middle East region.
The tensions come amid growing international concern over the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important oil shipping routes.
Reports have now emerged suggesting NATO is considering plans to help reopen the vital trade route after weeks of disruption linked to the conflict.
The prolonged tensions have already caused major disruptions to global energy markets and pushed oil prices sharply higher worldwide.

