Trump Orders Pentagon To Cut Back US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing Cost And Iran Dispute

Date:

US President Donald Trump has instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual drills were due to begin, citing their cost and Seoul’s decision not to support US actions against Iran.

Trump made the announcement on Truth Social hours before the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were scheduled to start on August 17. He said it was already too late to cancel the 10-day drills entirely but admitted he was unhappy that the US had agreed to take part.

The US president also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, arguing that the exercises were costly and sent an inappropriate and hostile signal to a country he described as having remained respectful towards him during his presidency.

Despite Trump’s directive, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed that the exercises began as scheduled on Monday. Seoul did not immediately comment on Trump’s remarks. Around 18,000 South Korean troops are expected to participate in the drills, which run until August 27.

The exercises are designed to prepare both countries for evolving threats from North Korea, including drone warfare, GPS disruption, cyberattacks and electronic warfare. The drills have increasingly shifted away from live-fire operations towards computer-based simulations and other forms of command-and-control training.

Trump has previously criticised US-South Korean military exercises, describing them as expensive and provocative. During his first term, he also pushed for reductions in such drills while repeatedly clashing with Seoul over the cost of maintaining around 28,500 US troops in South Korea.

North Korea has long condemned the exercises, portraying them as preparations for an invasion. Pyongyang recently intensified its criticism, accusing US-Japan-South Korea military cooperation of developing into a “nuclear alliance” and warning that it would strengthen its nuclear deterrent in response.

Trump’s latest decision has fuelled speculation that Washington could be seeking another opening with Pyongyang. Jenny Town of the Stimson Center said the move could form part of a broader attempt to create a diplomatic opportunity with Kim, although she noted that the abrupt nature of the decision might have limited impact in North Korea.

Trump and Kim have previously held three high-profile summits, but those meetings failed to produce an agreement that halted North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes. Their relationship has swung dramatically over the years, from threats of war to Trump declaring that the two leaders had “fell in love” through their exchanges.

Trump also linked the issue to South Korea’s position on the US-Israeli conflict with Iran. He said he had asked South Korea’s president whether the country wanted to join US efforts to denuclearise Iran, claiming Seoul declined.

Meanwhile, security concerns surrounding North Korea remain high. Pyongyang launched another ballistic missile towards the sea earlier this month, while US officials have warned that North Korea’s growing missile capabilities could eventually pose a direct threat to the American mainland.

North Korean troops who have fought alongside Russian forces in Ukraine are also believed to have gained battlefield experience involving drones, electronic warfare and cyber operations — developments that US and South Korean forces are now incorporating into their training scenarios.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Receive Three Reports Over Alleged Damage To Non-Muslim Place Of Worship In Bukit Tinggi

Police have confirmed receiving three reports over an alleged...

Fatal U-Turn Crash Claims Driver’s Life After Perodua Viva Collides With Bus In Kota Kinabalu

A 46-year-old Indonesian man died after suffering severe injuries...

‘Not A Blank Cheque’ — DAP Must Push Harder For Reforms After Deciding To Stay In Unity Government

The overwhelming support from DAP delegates for the party...

‘Don’t Blame An Entire Race’: Akmal Hits Out At Racial Sentiments Over Tabung Haji

UMNO Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhammad Akmal Saleh has...