Iranian Military Chief Threatens To ‘Break Trump’s Legs’ Over Strait Of Hormuz Claim

Date:

A senior Iranian military commander has issued a fierce warning to US President Donald Trump after he suggested the strategically important Strait of Hormuz could eventually become US territory.

Major General Amir Hatami described any attempt to make such a move as a serious mistake, warning that Iran had people prepared to defend the country and “break your legs” in response.

Hatami also claimed that US forces had effectively been pushed out of the region and would no longer be allowed to return to the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman or the Strait of Hormuz.

The remarks came after Trump said the crucial maritime passage could become “a territory of the United States” once Washington had finished defeating Iran.

Trump said the US had established a blockade and that ships would only be able to pass through the strait if permission was granted.

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, with large volumes of oil and gas traditionally passing through the narrow waterway. Disruptions since the outbreak of conflict have already triggered concerns over global energy supplies and pushed oil prices higher.

Hatami also announced a $30,000 (around RM126,000) reward for anyone who kills or captures a US service member and hands them over to Iranian forces. He further said weapons used in such attacks would be purchased for twice their value and replaced with new weapons.

The Iranian commander issued another warning to US military forces, saying American bases in the region could not return to their previous status.

He said Iran would not allow facilities in neighbouring countries to be used to threaten the country, insisting that the only solution was for American forces to leave the region.

Hatami’s comments came amid an increasingly tense confrontation between Tehran and Washington, with Iranian officials previously telling the White House to accept what they described as a defeat after Iran rejected the prospect of resuming negotiations with the US.

The latest threats also come as Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, Jared Kushner, held talks with Hamas as part of efforts to revive a stalled Gaza peace initiative.

Kushner met a senior Hamas leader on Sunday in a renewed diplomatic push to advance a US-backed ceasefire proposal. He was also expected to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for discussions on a 15-point plan aimed at ending the conflict.

The proposal calls for Hamas to disarm while Israel withdraws its forces from Gaza, with the future of around two million Palestinians and the reconstruction of the territory hanging in the balance.

The diplomatic efforts come as Washington attempts to revive negotiations in the region while tensions between the US and Iran remain highly volatile.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Receive Three Reports Over Alleged Damage To Non-Muslim Place Of Worship In Bukit Tinggi

Police have confirmed receiving three reports over an alleged...

Fatal U-Turn Crash Claims Driver’s Life After Perodua Viva Collides With Bus In Kota Kinabalu

A 46-year-old Indonesian man died after suffering severe injuries...

‘Not A Blank Cheque’ — DAP Must Push Harder For Reforms After Deciding To Stay In Unity Government

The overwhelming support from DAP delegates for the party...

‘Don’t Blame An Entire Race’: Akmal Hits Out At Racial Sentiments Over Tabung Haji

UMNO Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhammad Akmal Saleh has...