Langkawi Drug Syndicate Probe: Cop Transferred As Police Deny Protection Claims

Date:

A police officer suspected of being linked to a drug distribution syndicate in Langkawi has been transferred with immediate effect to allow a transparent and thorough investigation to take place.

Kedah Police Chief Adzli Abu Shah stressed that the transfer was not an attempt to shield or protect the officer involved, adding that investigations are still ongoing in detail.

He also dismissed claims comparing the alleged Langkawi drug syndicate to operations run by notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar, saying the scale of activities on the island was far from that level.

“While I do not deny there are elements of drug trafficking in Langkawi, the matter is already under police action. As the state police chief, and on behalf of the Royal Malaysia Police, I will not protect anyone — whether senior officers or rank-and-file personnel — found to be involved in drug-related crimes,” he said during a press conference at the Kedah police contingent headquarters on Tuesday.

Authorities also confirmed the arrest of another suspect known as “Bagok”, 47, who is believed to be connected to the syndicate. He was detained last Saturday as investigations intensified.

Adzli said the police force remains firm in combating drug-related offences within its own ranks, revealing that from January 2023 until April this year, a total of 54 police officers and personnel had been detained under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952. Out of that number, 38 individuals have already been charged in court.

The issue drew national attention after recent media reports alleged that following the death of alleged “Pablo Escobar of Langkawi”, Mat Nahar, six years ago, another organised drug distribution network had surfaced on the resort island. The syndicate was allegedly masterminded by a police officer identified only as “Mr A”.

Earlier, Home Minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail also rejected reports likening drug activities in Langkawi to international cartel operations, insisting that the scale of distribution on the island should not be equated with the complex global empire once controlled by Escobar.

The case has sparked public concern over integrity within enforcement agencies, with authorities under pressure to ensure no individuals involved in narcotics activities escape accountability.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

MACC Seeking Two Men To Assist In Corruption Investigations

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is currently tracking down...

13-Year-Old Boy Allegedly Killed And Buried By Friends After Drinking Session

A 13-year-old boy was allegedly beaten to death before...

Man Dies After Being Left Helpless For 18 Minutes As Passers-By Ignore Victim Trapped In Escalator

Disturbing CCTV footage showing a man trapped in an...

Three Siblings Allegedly Kill And Bury Father After Years Of Violence And Abuse Against Mother

Indonesia has been shocked by the arrest of three...