Japan Seeks High-Level Calls With Iran And US Amid Middle East Conflict

Date:

Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said on Tuesday (April 7) that arrangements are being made for a telephone call with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian as tensions continue to escalate in the Middle East.

Speaking in parliament, Takaichi said Japan is also seeking communication with both Washington and Tehran in an effort to manage the ongoing conflict.

“We have to communicate both with the US and Iran, so we are seeking telephone calls with the presidents of both countries,” she told an Upper House budget committee.

Her remarks came as Tokyo confirmed that Iran had released a Japanese national who had been detained since January. Local media reported that the individual is believed to be the Tehran bureau chief of broadcaster NHK.

Separately, Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi held a phone conversation with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi late Monday, during which he expressed serious concern over continued retaliatory attacks involving Iran and Gulf countries.

Motegi also reiterated Japan’s position that an immediate de-escalation of tensions is crucial, urging Tehran to engage constructively in ongoing diplomatic efforts, according to the foreign ministry.

Japan, which relies heavily on energy imports from the Middle East, is the world’s fifth-largest importer of oil, with more than 90 per cent of its crude coming from the region. Around 10 per cent of its liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports also originate there.

The developments come as US President Donald Trump criticised several US allies, including Japan, South Korea and Australia, for not contributing to efforts related to the Iran conflict.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Curtain Company Fined RM1,500 For Displaying Advertisement Without Licence

A curtain company was fined RM1,500 by the Magistrates’...

Unemployed Man Pleads Guilty To Three Child Abuse Charges, Admits Abusing Stepdaughter And Infant Daughter

An unemployed man pleaded guilty at the Sessions Court...

Each Scam Takedown Request Takes Up To 45 Minutes To Process, Says Fahmi

Each request to remove scam-related content from online platforms...

600kg Of Drugs Worth RM37.5 Million Seized In KLIA Raids, 12 Suspects Held

Efforts to strengthen security and enforcement at Kuala Lumpur...