Over 83,000 TikTok and Telegram Posts Removed in Malaysia—Not About Politics, Says MCMC

Date:

From January 2022 to July 31 this year, Malaysian service providers removed a total of 83,511 posts—80,657 on TikTok and 2,854 on Telegram—following requests from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

The Communications Ministry clarified that the takedowns involved content deemed obscene, indecent, false, threatening, or highly offensive, in violation of Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (Act 588).

“The actions were not politically motivated but carried out strictly under existing laws, regardless of the creator’s political stance or background,” the ministry said in a written parliamentary reply on August 25.

The issue was raised by Tanah Merah MP Datuk Seri Ikmal Hisham Abdul Aziz, who inquired about how many TikTok and Telegram accounts had been suspended for criticizing the government.

The ministry emphasized that each removal request is submitted to the platform providers, who then review and act according to their community guidelines.

“Every takedown is conducted under existing laws to prevent misuse of freedom of expression, while balancing individual rights and public interest for overall societal well-being,” the statement added.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Teen Fight Outside School In Pandamaran Sparks Police Probe

A video has gone viral showing a group of...

MetMalaysia Issues Thunderstorm Warning For Multiple States Until 9PM

The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) has issued a thunderstorm...

Federal Court Dismisses Final Appeal, Upholds 30-Year Jail Term And Caning For Ukrainian Man In 24kg Meth Case

The Federal Court on Wednesday upheld the 30-year prison...

Court Upholds Jail Sentences For Police Officer And Wife In Forced Labour Case

The High Court in Klang on Wednesday upheld prison...