Trump Says US Delayed Iran Attack As Gulf States Push For Peace Talks

Date:

US President Donald Trump said the United States has postponed a planned military strike against Iran following requests from Gulf leaders, claiming that “serious negotiations” are currently underway.

In a post shared on Truth Social, Trump said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had urged him to delay the attack that was reportedly scheduled for Tuesday.

According to Trump, he had been informed that a deal acceptable to the US was close to being finalised, while reiterating that there would be “no nuclear weapons for Iran”.

Despite the temporary pause, Trump warned that Washington remained ready to launch a “full, large-scale assault” against Iran at any moment should negotiations collapse.

The latest development comes amid escalating tensions between the US, Israel and Iran after large-scale air strikes were launched on February 28 by American and Israeli forces against Iranian targets. Tehran later retaliated with drones and missile attacks targeting Israel and US-linked sites across the Gulf region.

A senior Iranian military commander meanwhile warned Washington against making what he described as “strategic mistakes and miscalculations again”.

The situation has also placed Gulf Arab nations on high alert amid fears Iran could resume widespread retaliatory attacks using drones and missiles against airports, petrochemical facilities and desalination plants across neighbouring countries.

The conflict has severely disrupted global energy markets, particularly after Iran tightened control over the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping route that handles nearly 20 per cent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supply.

Oil prices surged globally following the move, while the US reportedly intensified pressure on Tehran by enforcing a blockade on Iranian ports.

Speaking to reporters later, Trump described the negotiations as “a very positive development” but cautioned that previous attempts at reaching an agreement had failed at the final stage.

“There’s a very good chance” of reaching a deal, Trump said, adding that he would prefer avoiding military action if an agreement could be achieved diplomatically.

A ceasefire introduced in April to facilitate negotiations has largely held despite sporadic exchanges of fire between the conflicting parties.

Iran on Monday confirmed that discussions with Washington were continuing through mediators from Pakistan, although Iranian media claimed the US had yet to offer meaningful concessions.

According to reports by Iran’s semi-official Tasnim and Fars news agencies, Tehran’s demands include an end to attacks on Iran-backed groups, the lifting of US naval blockades, guarantees against future strikes, compensation for war damage and recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

The US response reportedly included demands for Iran to maintain only one operational nuclear site and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to Washington.

Trump also appeared to soften his stance on Iran’s nuclear programme after suggesting he may accept a 20-year suspension instead of demanding a total shutdown.

The US and its European allies have long accused Iran of attempting to develop nuclear weapons through uranium enrichment, an allegation Tehran continues to deny, insisting its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Malaysia Seeks Over RM1 Billion After Norway Cancels Missile Export Licence

Malaysia has officially issued a notice of claim exceeding...

PM Anwar Assures No Cuts To Sports And Athlete Welfare Funding

Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has assured that funding for...

Food Delivery Rider Touches Hearts After Stopping And Helping Elderly Man In Wheelchair

A food delivery rider has won praise online after...

Women Now Prefer Leaner Men Over ‘Dad Bods’, Study Finds

The once-popular “dad bod” may be falling out of...