Authorities in Jakarta have heightened vigilance following the detection of several suspected hantavirus cases, according to reports by the Jakarta Globe.
Jakarta Health Agency chief Ani Ruspitawati said the Indonesian capital has recorded six suspected hantavirus cases currently under close monitoring, in addition to three confirmed infections.
“For the latest hantavirus developments in Jakarta, we have identified three confirmed cases, while six suspected cases remain under observation,” Ani said after officiating the Meruya Community Health Centre in West Jakarta on Monday.
Health officials had earlier reported that four infected individuals had fully recovered, while another patient remains under treatment.
Following an alert notice issued by Indonesia’s Health Ministry, Ani said Jakarta authorities had distributed circulars on hantavirus awareness to healthcare facilities across the capital city.
“We have also appointed several public hospitals as observation hospitals to carry out stricter monitoring and detect potential hantavirus cases within the community,” she added.
The Jakarta Health Agency has additionally deployed rapid response teams to strengthen its early warning system in preparation for any possible surge in infections.
Ani urged residents to maintain good hygiene practices, including frequent handwashing with soap and running water, as a key preventive measure against hantavirus infections spread by rodents.
She explained that the virus can spread through aerosol particles from rat droppings, saliva or urine that contaminate the air in enclosed spaces.
Meanwhile, Indonesian health authorities have also tightened hantavirus screening measures at Soekarno–Hatta International Airport to prevent infected travellers from entering the country through international flights.
The situation has raised public concern as authorities continue monitoring the spread of the virus and intensifying preventive measures across Jakarta.

