Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has warned that any military action by the United States against Cuba would result in a “bloodbath” with unpredictable consequences for regional peace and stability.
In a statement posted on X on Monday, Díaz-Canel insisted that Cuba does not pose a threat to the US.
The warning came after a report by Axios claimed, citing classified intelligence, that Cuba had obtained more than 300 military drones and had allegedly discussed plans involving possible attacks on the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, American military vessels and Key West, Florida.
Cuban authorities strongly rejected the allegations, accusing Washington of fabricating claims to justify possible military intervention against the island nation.
Amid growing tensions, some residents in Havana said they were prepared to resist any foreign attack despite Cuba’s worsening economic crisis.
“I know Cuba is a strong country. Cubans are very brave and they are not going to find us unprepared,” said 57-year-old Sandra Roseaux.
“If they come, they will have to fight because Cuba will respond,” she added.
Cuba has been facing severe economic pressure in recent months after the US reportedly cut off energy supplies following the arrest of Venezuela’s president earlier this year.
The country has since struggled with fuel shortages and widespread electricity disruptions, with some areas reportedly receiving only a few hours of power daily.
Tensions between Havana and Washington have escalated further after reports emerged that US prosecutors were preparing to indict former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over Cuba’s alleged involvement in the 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by a humanitarian group.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez defended the country’s right to self-defence under international law, saying every nation has the right to protect itself against external aggression.
Some Cubans, however, urged both countries to resolve their differences through diplomacy instead of conflict.
“It would not be right for the United States to invade Cuba, nor for Cuba to invade the United States,” Havana resident Ulises Medina said.
“They must reach an agreement and negotiate. But Cuba will defend itself because the country will not surrender,” he added.
The latest developments have intensified concerns over a possible escalation in tensions between the two long-time rivals as geopolitical strains continue to rise across the region.

