Royal Malaysia Police in Kedah has denied allegations that it is protecting a police officer accused of being involved in a drug trafficking syndicate operating in Langkawi.
Kedah police chief Adzli Abu Shah said claims circulating on social media suggesting the force was shielding the officer known as “Mr A” were untrue.
According to Adzli, the immediate transfer of the officer to another location within Kedah was not an attempt to protect him, but part of ongoing investigations.
He stressed that police had already carried out several raids involving the officer, including surprise inspections at both his residence and workplace.
“We conducted multiple raids on the officer concerned, but no case-related items were discovered,” he said during a press conference at the Kedah police contingent headquarters on Wednesday.
Adzli added that two surprise operations at the suspect’s home and office also produced negative results.
The investigation follows renewed media attention surrounding a drug distribution network allegedly operating systematically around Langkawi following the death of former syndicate leader Mat Nahar, who was once nicknamed “Langkawi’s Pablo Escobar”.
The latest allegations claim the syndicate is now being managed by “Mr A” together with several individuals previously linked to Mat Nahar’s network.
Adzli insisted there was no special treatment or double standard involved in handling the case and confirmed investigations are still ongoing.
In a related development, he also revealed that a 47-year-old suspect known as “Bagok” is expected to be charged at the Langkawi court on Thursday under Section 39C of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.
During the same press conference, Adzli announced that Kedah’s Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department will oversee the disposal of various types of seized drugs worth nearly RM12.4 million.
The narcotics involved were confiscated across 4,401 investigation papers spanning from 2011 to 2025.
The disposal operation will take place at the Bukit Pelanduk Solid Waste Disposal Centre in Negeri Sembilan and marks Kedah police’s first large-scale drug disposal exercise for this year.

