The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) a public health emergency of international concern following growing fears over the virus spreading across borders.
The outbreak, centred in the eastern Ituri province, has so far recorded around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths, according to the WHO. Although the situation does not currently meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency, the agency warned the outbreak could be significantly larger than what has been officially detected and reported.
Health officials said the current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments available.
Early symptoms of Ebola include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headaches and sore throat before progressing to vomiting, diarrhoea, rashes and in severe cases, internal and external bleeding.
The WHO confirmed that eight cases have been laboratory verified, while suspected infections and deaths have been reported across three health zones including Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, as well as the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara.
Authorities also confirmed one Ebola case in the capital city Kinshasa involving a patient believed to have returned from Ituri.
The virus has already spread beyond DR Congo’s borders, with neighbouring Uganda reporting two confirmed cases. Ugandan officials said a 59-year-old man who died on Thursday had tested positive for the virus.
Meanwhile, reports also confirmed a laboratory-detected Ebola case in the eastern city of Goma, an area currently controlled by M23 rebels.
International concern has intensified after reports emerged that at least six Americans were exposed to Ebola in DR Congo. One individual reportedly showed symptoms, although no infections have been officially confirmed so far.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it plans to deploy additional staff to DR Congo and Uganda, while the US Embassy in DR Congo has advised citizens against travelling to Ituri province.
The WHO warned that ongoing conflict, humanitarian instability, high population movement and the large number of informal healthcare facilities in affected areas are increasing the risk of wider transmission.
Countries bordering DR Congo are now considered high-risk zones due to trade and travel links. Rwanda has already tightened border health screening measures as a precaution.
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cautioned that there are still major uncertainties regarding the actual number of infections and the geographical spread of the outbreak.
Health authorities are urging neighbouring countries to strengthen surveillance systems, improve contact tracing and establish emergency operation centres to contain the virus before it spreads further across the region.
Ebola was first discovered in 1976 in what is now DR Congo and is believed to have originated from infected animals such as fruit bats. This marks the country’s 17th Ebola outbreak.
DR Congo previously recorded its deadliest Ebola outbreak between 2018 and 2020, during which nearly 2,300 people died. Last year, another outbreak in a remote region claimed 45 lives.

