AMK Labels Rafizi And Nik Nazmi’s Exit From PKR A ‘Betrayal’

Date:

The decision by Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad to vacate their parliamentary seats after leaving PKR to take over Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) has been labelled as disappointing and a betrayal of the people’s mandate by Angkatan Muda Keadilan (AMK) Information chief Danish Hairudin.

In a statement on Sunday, Danish said both leaders should instead focus on fulfilling their responsibilities to the rakyat and strengthening national stability, especially at a time when Malaysians are facing rising living costs, global economic uncertainty and supply chain challenges.

“Instead, what we are seeing today is a personal political manoeuvre that brings no benefit to the people who voted for them under the banner of reform and the stability of the Madani Government,” he said.

According to him, voters in Pandan and Setiawangsa had given Rafizi and Nik Nazmi the mandate to serve the people, not to use the seats as stepping stones to build a new political platform after winning the election.

Danish also described the move as irresponsible as it would force the country into by-elections, which would involve significant costs using public funds while the nation is still working to recover economically amid ongoing global challenges.

He stressed that Malaysians today want political stability, consistent policies and leaders who are focused on solving the people’s problems instead of politicians engaging in political calculations for their own survival and ambitions.

“If they truly wanted to bring a new ideology or struggle, they should have sought a fresh mandate earlier instead of using positions won under Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) to strengthen another political party,” he added.

Danish said AMK would continue defending the reform agenda, government stability and the interests of the people without bowing to what he described as politics driven by disappointment or individual interests.

“The reform struggle cannot simply be used as a slogan to gain support from the rakyat and later abandoned once personal political interests become more important than the original cause,” he said.

Previously, Rafizi and Nik Nazmi announced their departure from PKR and confirmed they would vacate the Pandan and Setiawangsa parliamentary seats effective Monday.

The announcement was made during a political direction event held in Petaling Jaya on Sunday.

Rafizi said letters notifying the vacancy of the two parliamentary seats would be submitted to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Johari Abdul on Monday, while official notices of their resignation from PKR would be sent to PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh on Tuesday.

During the same event, Rafizi and Nik Nazmi also confirmed they had taken over Bersama, a small political party registered on Dec 2, 2016, in Georgetown, Penang by its founder Tan Gin Theam.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Hunt Suspect After Woman Stabbed Outside Kedah Restaurant

Police are actively tracking down a man suspected of...

Rafizi: We Returned The Mandate To The People, Not Jumped Parties

Former Economy Minister Rafizi Ramli and former Natural Resources...

MOH To Consult AGC After Court Ruling On Vape Nicotine Exemption

The Ministry of Health (MOH) will hold further discussions...

PM Anwar Hints At Early GE16 Amid Rising Tensions In Unity Government

Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has hinted at the possibility...