Iran Accuses US Of Blocking Visas For Football Team Staff Ahead Of World Cup

Date:

Iran has accused the United States of denying visas to what it described as “integral” members of its national football team’s backroom staff, despite confirmation that players have been cleared to travel for the upcoming World Cup.

US officials said on Friday that visas had been issued to all players and “necessary support staff” ahead of Iran’s opening match in Los Angeles on 15 June, stressing that entry procedures would remain tightly controlled.

Authorities also warned that Iran would not be allowed to “abuse the system” to bring individuals into the country under false pretences, citing security concerns.

However, Iran’s embassy in Turkey claimed the decision reflects “politically biased interference in sport,” alleging that a significant portion of managerial, executive and technical personnel had been refused entry.

Iranian state-linked reports said around 15 officials, including senior football administrators and media staff, were among those denied visas.

The national squad has already departed its training base in Turkey en route to Mexico, where it will be based during the tournament before travelling to the United States for matches.

Under current arrangements, Iran’s ambassador to Mexico said the team may be required to enter and leave the US on the same day as their fixtures.

Iran has urged FIFA to intervene, calling the situation discriminatory and inconsistent with the spirit of international sport.

The 2026 World Cup, jointly hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico, will begin on 11 June, with Iran qualifying after topping their group in March 2025.

The controversy comes amid heightened political tensions, with both sides maintaining strict security positions ahead of the global tournament.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Nga Kor Ming: Malaysia Can Learn From Japan’s Waste Management Practices To Boost Recycling Culture

Malaysia is looking to Japan’s waste separation and recycling...

Doctors Remove 3.1kg Bladder Stone From Sri Lankan Man In Possible World Record

Doctors in Sri Lanka have removed a massive 3.1kg...

100 Days To Go! Syed Saddiq, Bella Astillah To Tie The Knot On October 10

Muar MP Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman and singer-actress...

Kepong Petrol Attack: Police Arrest Suspect Who Allegedly Set Woman Ablaze

Police have arrested the individual who allegedly doused a...