Two people were killed in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, with authorities confirming that the situation was brought under control.
The incident occurred at a school affiliated with Ateneo de Zamboanga University in the southern city of Zamboanga.
Zamboanga Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso told DZMM radio that both casualties were students, with one of them believed to be the shooter. He said a “high-powered firearm” was used in the incident.
University president Ernald Andal later confirmed that there was no longer an active shooter and that no additional deaths or injuries had been reported.
“As of now, we confirm that there are two fatalities,” Andal said. “There are no more active shooters.”
Andal said the university was working closely with authorities as investigations continued and more information was being gathered.
“We do not want any of these things to happen. We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students,” he said.
The latest shooting comes less than two months after another deadly school attack in the Philippines.
In June, at least three students were killed and around 20 others injured when two schoolmates allegedly opened fire at a public high school in Tacloban City.
The Zamboanga shooting also occurred less than 10 days after a separate school shooting in Thailand, where a student reportedly went on a shooting rampage at a school on the outskirts of Bangkok.
Authorities have yet to release further details about the circumstances surrounding Tuesday’s shooting or establish a possible motive.

