Pahang Police Deny Claims Of Large-Scale Drug Cartel Operating In Genting Highlands

Date:

Pahang police have denied claims circulating on social media alleging that a large-scale drug cartel has been operating in Genting Highlands, Bentong, without facing enforcement action.

Acting Pahang Police Chief Datuk Azry Akmar Ayob said police would investigate and take appropriate action if reports involving illegal activities were received, regardless of where the alleged offences occurred.

“If there is a police report involving an incident that violates the law, we will conduct an investigation and take the necessary action regardless of the location,” he said during a press conference at the Pahang Police Contingent Headquarters (IPK) on Monday.

His remarks came after a social media user on Threads recently alleged that a major drug cartel was operating at the popular tourist destination. The user also claimed that several individuals had lodged police reports but that no action had been taken.

Azry Akmar stressed that the police would not ignore allegations of criminal activity and urged members of the public to channel information through the proper channels so that investigations could be carried out.

Meanwhile, he said the tanker lorry driver involved in a fatal crash that claimed two lives at KM9 of Jalan Temerloh-Triang near Kampung Lebak last Friday would remain under remand until Tuesday before being released.

“The investigation paper will be referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor’s Office today and the case will be closed after we receive the decision from the Deputy Public Prosecutor,” he said.

The 37-year-old driver is currently being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for allegedly driving negligently and causing a fatal accident.

Azry Akmar also confirmed that DNA testing had identified the two victims as Nur Fatima Abdullah, 39, and her 12-year-old son, Muhamad Fattah Aisy Nuafal Saifulnizam.

The pair were previously reported to have been burnt to death after the car they were travelling in was crushed by a tanker lorry carrying 32,000 litres of diesel and petrol, triggering a fire. The tanker driver sustained minor injuries in the crash.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Kepong Petrol Attack: Woman Set Ablaze Fights For Life With Only 20% Survival Chance As Family Releases CCTV

A 62-year-old Chinese woman who suffered severe burns after...

Akmal Saleh Hails Johor Government For Swift Action Over Upside-Down Jalur Gemilang

UMNO Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhammad Akmal Saleh has...

MOF Denies Viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI Aid’ For Housewives, Single Mothers And Senior Citizens

The Ministry of Finance (MOF) has denied claims circulating...

30 BN MPs To Remain In Unity Government Until End Of Term, Says Ahmad Maslan

All 30 Barisan Nasional (BN) Members of Parliament will...