Iran Announces Two-Week Safe Passage For Strait Of Hormuz Amid Ceasefire Talks

Date:

Iran said on Wednesday (April 8) it will guarantee safe passage for maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz for a two-week period, as negotiations linked to a wider ceasefire proposal involving the United States are set to begin in Islamabad.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the temporary arrangement would allow vessels to pass through the strategic waterway “via coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces” while taking into account technical limitations.

The announcement came shortly after former US President Donald Trump declared that a two-week ceasefire agreement had been reached with Iran, ahead of an earlier deadline he had set for Tehran to reopen the strait or face military action against its infrastructure.

Iran’s Supreme National Security Council said the talks are expected to continue for two weeks, with the possibility of extension if both sides agree. Iranian state media also claimed that Washington had accepted Tehran’s conditions, describing the development as a setback for the United States.

Trump, posting on social media, said the ceasefire was based on discussions involving Pakistan as a mediator, and claimed it marked progress towards a longer-term peace agreement in the region.

White House officials reportedly confirmed that Israel had also agreed to the temporary ceasefire, although Israeli forces later said they had detected incoming missile fire from Iran shortly after the announcement.

Iran has outlined proposals that reportedly include maintaining control over the Strait of Hormuz, continuing uranium enrichment activities, and the lifting of international sanctions as part of any final agreement.

Pakistan has emerged as a key mediator in the discussions, with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif welcoming the ceasefire announcement and inviting delegations from all sides to Islamabad for further negotiations, which he referred to as “Islamabad Talks”.

Despite the diplomatic developments, tensions remain high after weeks of conflict that have seen strikes across Iran and the wider region, including attacks on infrastructure and energy facilities.

The Strait of Hormuz, a critical global oil shipping route, has been a central point of tension throughout the conflict, with any disruption posing significant risks to global energy supplies and markets.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Kepong Petrol Attack: Woman Set Ablaze Fights For Life With Only 20% Survival Chance As Family Releases CCTV

A 62-year-old Chinese woman who suffered severe burns after...

Akmal Saleh Hails Johor Government For Swift Action Over Upside-Down Jalur Gemilang

UMNO Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhammad Akmal Saleh has...

MOF Denies Viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI Aid’ For Housewives, Single Mothers And Senior Citizens

The Ministry of Finance (MOF) has denied claims circulating...

30 BN MPs To Remain In Unity Government Until End Of Term, Says Ahmad Maslan

All 30 Barisan Nasional (BN) Members of Parliament will...